Many accidents have the potential to cause a traumatic brain injury. Car wrecks, sports accidents, and falls, to name a few. Sometimes, the accident is the result of another’s negligent or reckless behavior. When this happens, the victim may be able to pursue compensation for their medical bills, pain and suffering.
Traumatic Brain Injuries are Expensive
Brain injuries are catastrophic and typically come with steep medical bills. For example, an injured victim may require:
- An ambulance ride to the emergency room
- Diagnostic tests such as an MRI or CT-scan
- Prescription medications
- Physical or occupational therapy
- Psychological counseling
Traumatic Brain Injuries are Life-Altering
When a victim suffers a brain injury, their life may change in many ways. Sometimes, these changes are temporary. But other times, they are long-lasting or even permanent.
Here are some of the ways a brain injury could impact a victim:
- Work impacts. As already mentioned, a victim may be unable to work while recovering. Depending on the symptoms, returning to work in the same role may be impossible.
- Family impacts. A spouse, child, or parent may suddenly find themselves as a caregiver. This will no doubt change relationship dynamics.
- Lifestyle impacts. A brain injury could keep a victim from engaging in activities he or she once enjoyed such as traveling, gardening, or being physically active.
- Mental health impacts. The sudden changes and loss of independence can impact a victim’s well-being. Depression, anxiety, and sleep disturbances may crop up.
When to File a Brain Injury Claim
What if the brain injury was the result of someone else’s carelessness? Here are a few examples when you might involve a personal injury attorney.
- If you were the victim of a motor vehicle accident.
- If an unsafe condition or hazard on someone else’s property caused you to fall.
- If you were the victim of an assault.
- If a defective product caused your injury.
- If you were put in an unreasonably risky situation by someone who should’ve known better.